Sunday, May 9, 2010

Day 4

Happy Mother's Day! Today was actually a pretty good day. I had a healthy breakfast and even though my lunch wasn't healthy I didn't fixate on it either, which is a great thing for me. I didn't exercise, but that is mostly because I'm quite under the weather right now. I was thinking about food addiction for awhile and I realized something. I feel like food addiction sucks so bad because any other addict can stop using and begin life free of that substance when they are ready. But with food addiction, its not like that. I have to eat food everyday. It's part of life. I can learn how have a healthy relationship with food and work to maintain that relaionship, but I still have to "use" all the time.
So as I continue my project and work towards losing weight and ditching my habits, I need to keep this in mind. Food is a wonderful part of life and should be enjoyed everyday. It should not be part of my problem or the source of any unhappiness. I disgree with the old adage that we should "eat to live, not live to eat." With food, we can enjoy many of the different tastes and textures of the world. We can learn about other cultures and share good times with our family and friends. Yes, we should understand that we need to put healthy foods in our bodies because food is our primary source of nourishment. But if breakfast, lunch, and dinner are some of the happiest times of your day, that's okay too. Why does have to be either/or?
To live a happy life (if you're someone like me who loves food), you have to find the middle ground. But food can't replace friendships or fullfillment in life. It can only make you temporarily happy and it's not a solution to any problem. It's just food, and trying to make it something else is just silly. It takes away from it. That's all for now... cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment